The New Zealand Tech Alliance is a group of independent technology associations from across New Zealand that work together to ensure a strong voice for technology.Visit Tech Alliance
Here we are, a week away from Christmas and this is the last NZTech update for 2020.
During the past year NZTech and our Tech Alliance have been super busy. If I wrote down everything, it would be a very long read, but I am incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved in such a tough year, so here are the highlights:
- 200+ events and webinars – keeping our members connected.
- Produced MedCan 2020 – bringing together biotech, tech, medicine and Government to identify the economic opportunities for New Zealand.
- Live streaming Future Government Summit during lockdown – bringing together senior leaders in tech from Government and industry.
- Pivoted our Cyber Security Summit to February 2021 – so cyber professionals from Government and industry can meet and address emerging cyber concerns.
- Delivered over 300 events and 60 hours of Techweek TV during Techweek2020 – to help inspire the next generation into tech and showcase our best tech to the world.
Research and Publications
- Briefing for Incoming Ministers – to update the incoming Government on all things tech.
- Prepared an Innovation Plan for the EdTech sector – to help counter the impact of COVID-19 on education exports.
- Published the economic impact study, Aotearoa New Zealand Boosted by Biotech: Innovating for a Sustainable Future – identifying the biotech opportunity for New Zealand.
- Published a profile of Life Science Key Opinion Leaders – showcasing the quality of the New Zealand science system.
- Delivered a pre-election Tech Manifesto – to raise awareness of the importance of tech with all MPs.
- Published Aotearoa Agritech Unleashed: Driving Productivity, Sustainability and Economic Growth report – identifying agritech opportunities.
- National survey of the Impact of COVID-19 on the tech sector – to help develop policy for economic recovery.
- Digital Identity benchmark survey – a national survey of Kiwi’s understanding of digital identity.
Working with Government
- Developing the Digital Technology Industry Transformation Plan (ITP) – helping prepare the plan, establishing the workstreams.
- Supporting the Agritech Industry Transformation Plan coordinating industry input, developing the action plan.
- Developing a new version of the Tech Story to support our tech exports enter markets, and attract talent and capital.
- Submission on Cryptocurrency and GST – to help Government understand the impacts.
- Feedback on the Algorithm Charter.
This week, I am squeezing in a bit more work with the Government. I will be in Wellington for a meeting with Ministers Woods and Clark to discuss the R&D tax credits and emerging challenges for software developers. Work is also underway to enable IT workers to enter managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) so we can ensure the tech sector and the digitisation of the economy doesn’t slow down.
But in less than two weeks, we will be taking a well-earned relaxing summer holiday. Enjoy the festivities and spending time with those you are able to. Let’s make the most of our beautiful country this summer and begin 2021 with renewed energy.
To receive our full newsletter including additional industry updates and information, subscribe now.