The New Zealand Tech Alliance is a group of independent technology associations from across New Zealand that work together to ensure a strong voice for technology.Visit Tech Alliance
Auckland Trade and Economic Policy School
In September 2019, the University of Auckland’s Public Policy Institute will host its inaugural Auckland Trade and Economic Policy School (ATEPS). The School is launched with the support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and in partnership with the Ministry’s Deputy Secretary Trade and Economic, Vangelis Vitalis.
ATEPS is positioned to be an annual event on the New Zealand trade and economic calendar, attracting internationally recognised leaders and thinkers on trade and economic policy. It will bring together trade experts, exporters, business leaders, diplomats, economists, academics, officials, and local and central government politicians – all with an interest in New Zealand’s trade and economic wellbeing.
It is significant that the School takes places in Auckland – the country’s economic powerhouse, contributing 38% of the nation’s GDP and home to many of the service industries that support the country’s exporters and importers.
Hosted by the University’s Public Policy Institute at the Fale Pasifika, ATEPS will offer a unique opportunity for attendees to focus on trade and economic policy, hear from contemporary thinkers and leaders, listen to diverse panel discussions, and question and debate the trade outlook for New Zealand, the Asia Pacific, and the world.
ATEPS 2019 will begin on Friday 6 September with a panel discussion featuring a mix of international and local experts, and an opening address from Trade and Export Growth Minister, the Hon David Parker. The day will conclude with a reception for all attendees, and an invitation-only dinner with speakers and supporters. On Saturday 7 September, attendees will hear from six international speakers, and have the benefit of a second panel discussion.
ATEPS has attracted high-quality international speakers, including:
- Professor Richard Baldwin (Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva)
- Professor Mari Pangestu (Columbia University, University of Indonesia)
- Dr Zhang Jianping (Director General of the Center for Regional Economic Cooperation at the Chinese Academy of International Trade and Economic Cooperation)
- Professor Fukunari Kimura (Chief Economist for Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, Keio University)
- Dr Sherry Stephenson (International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development)
- Hosuk Lee-Makiyama (Director of the European Centre for International Political Economy)
- Dr Lucian Cernat (Chief Trade Economist of the European Commission)